Today, PhRMA released its 2021 Biopharmaceutical Industry Profile, a resource that highlights the latest from the industry on innovation, access and affordability. The Profile has told the story of the biopharmaceutical industry for nearly five decades. It outlines the industry’s principles, highlights PhRMA’s key policy solutions, and provides an advocacy toolkit making the case for a more robust, resilient, affordable and equitable health care system for all.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, biopharmaceutical companies have been working around the clock to research and develop therapeutics and vaccines. The industry’s breakthroughs to combat this virus are built on years of research and scientific discovery. To continue fighting COVID-19 and finding treatments and cures for the many diseases patients face, we need a policy and regulatory environment that supports continued research and development investments and increases patient access and affordability.
In this year’s advocacy toolkit, you’ll find a range of resources on key topics important to the industry today:
- Medicines are Transforming the Trajectory of Disease
- Better Use of Medicines Can Improve Health Outcomes and Reduce the Use of Costly Medical Care
- The Dynamic U.S. Research and Development Ecosystem
- The Biopharmaceutical Industry's Role in Fueling the Economy and Global Competitiveness
- 10 Facts about Prescription Drug Costs
- The Biopharmaceutical Industry’s Commitment to Ending the Pandemic and Building a More Resilient Health Care System
- Antimicrobial Resistance: Preparing for the Next Public Health Emergency
- The Biopharmaceutical Research Ecosystem: The Role of NIH and Industry in the Research and Development of New Medicines
- The Importance of Strong Trade Agreements in Driving Biopharmaceutical Innovation
- How the U.S. Health Care System Can Better Accommodate Cell and Gene Therapies
- Innovative Contracting: Challenges and Opportunities
- Making Medicines More Affordable for Commercially Insured Patients and Medicare Beneficiaries
- Preserving the 340B Program and Protecting the Safety Net
- Government Price Setting Threatens Access to Medicines
Gabby Migliara is a senior manager of public affairs at PhRMA focusing on the cost and value of medicines. She previously worked with the U.S. Census Bureau on marketing and communications for the 2020 Census campaign. Outside the office, Gabby enjoys trying new restaurants, hanging with her cat and exploring DC neighborhoods.